Brought to you in part by:
Ninth Year!

Fifteenth Year!

Your best source for

High Performance Parts!

...and through the support of our members...
Click here to see a list of our Supporters.

To Register onto our web site and join our discussions, just click Here.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Harbor freight sandblaster.

I bought a 40 pound HF pressurized sandblaster about a year ago, but has been sitting still in the box till today. Took it out and put it together today, to attempt blasting my rusty oil pan.
    As soon as I hooked up air to it, the water seperator blew apart. Could be dangerous if I would have been in its path. Doing a search, looks like others have had the same thing happen.
    So far have not been able to get it to operate, as it keeps clogging up before any sand has a chance to come out of the nozzle. I will pick up some different sand tommorrow, the stuff I got has a lot of little pebbles that are hard to filter out.
    Will try some recommended modifications to it I read on some forums, and get a better nozzle.
    But as far as out of the box, I'd say save your money or spend more for a better blaster. I had planned at one time making a blaster from some plans I found, but figured the Harbor freight one was cheap enough that I'd give it a try.
    http://victorylap.50webs.com
    Autobody. paint, and restoration, Green Bay, WI

Typical HF quality. I bought a blast cabinet from them that was a joke.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS

My Mach's restoration progress

My Sprint's restoration progress

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. - Mark Twain

Yep, def hit or miss their and buying chinese manufactured goods (which you also can get buying at sears, the snap on and matco trucks today). I've had pretty good luck with some of there cheaper air tools (my little angle grinder, touchup gun, die grinder, and cutoff tool) which are branded campbell hausfield, which are less expensive to buy at harbor freight then at home depot and other stores that also carrry campbell hausfield for some of their cheaper tools. But the sandblaster was also campbell hausfield. and having the water seperator blow apart right off the bat was something else.

What are the mods you are talking about? I have the 90lb pressurized unit and it seems to be okay but does have a tendency to clog up.
    Rick Stevens
    Billet Fluid Line Clamps: www.lsbilletworks.com

- FFR Mark III Cobra Replica (aka Rayne)
    - 68 Mustang Coupe - drag car under construction
    - 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Someone said to run a drill bit through the bottom fittings and valve where the sand comes out. Supposedly they don't line up well, and it limits the sand that can come out.
    I obviously put on a different water trap, since mine blew apart. I put the one I use for painting on for now, ran a drill bit through the bottom fittings, and hooked up the air to my gun from an old siphon blaster. Seemed to work pretty good then, except couldn't stop the sand from coming out with how the hose was hooked up to the other gun. Got a little blasting done, until I ran out of sand.
    I'll probably pick up the different deadman valve at harbor freight for 16.00 they talked about and try that tommorrow, and get the sand I normally buy instead of the play sand I picked up today, because it was on sale. The blasting valve that comes with it is junk, and the nozzle clogs too easy, IMO, even with the largest ceremic tip.
    Heres is some threads I read. Notice all three of them mention the stupid water seperator blowing apart!!!! :eek.I don't know if its different on the larger one, I have the 40 lb.
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...&view=previous
    http://h1forum.tremormuv.com/viewtopic.php?p=12498
    This one just mentions the seperator.
    http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hf-s...sandblaster+hf
    Also seen another website where he coiled some copper pipe and put it in a bucket of water and ice before going into the blaster to keep a cool dry air source, but doubt I'll do that unless clogging is really an issue. I think being this is WI, with a good water trap on there, and using the new water trap. Clogging is most often caused by moisture in the airline, or sand that isn't dry (sand often can be moist in the bag)
    Last edited by kenseth17; 05-12-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Check out the sand blasting cabinets from TP tools.
    I have the TL-180 (I think that's the model number) and every time I use it, I think to myself, wow what a great tool to have ! I've been using it heavily the past couple of weeks, bead blasting bolts and assorted parts for my 67 convertible.
    The only down side is that they use a plexiglass lens in the cabinet that requires sheets of clear plastic over it to protect it. The sheets get scratched up fairly quickly with heavy use and must be replaced. On the plus side, TP Tools sells all the parts should something get damaged or wear out.
    67convertible 289/auto
    65fastback 302/4sp
    2010 F-150 FX4

Bought some of the sand I usually buy today, and it worked better, at least good enough to finish blasting my rusty oil pan, shot her with some epoxy and then rattle canned it.
    Was able to run the blaster quite awhile, but Still clogged up a few times, must of had some pebbles inside from the old sand yet, which clogged the nozzle. I still haven't bought the new deadman valve.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mine clogged a lot until I went to Northern tool and bought a screen to filter the media. After that it was great. Air has to be really dry. I had mine hooked to about 35 feet of 1 inch copper pipe coming off my compressor to a sharpe dry aire membrane filter system. No moisture in my lines baby

Bill
    ________
    How to roll a joint
    Last edited by bonfire; 08-14-2011 at 05:35 AM.