Brought to you in part by:
Ninth Year!

Fifteenth Year!

Your best source for

High Performance Parts!

...and through the support of our members...
Click here to see a list of our Supporters.

To Register onto our web site and join our discussions, just click Here.

+ Reply to Thread

Default UAW Strike of 1967/68

My 68 Coupe was build on December 5th, 1967, during the UAW strike. I have heard that Mustangs built during the strike have a number of peculiarities which set them apart from those built before or after the strike. For example, my car has no VIN on the driver's side fender apron. I have heard that this is one of those peculiarities. What others were there...any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve - M&M Member #690

'68 GT/CS California Special Candy Apple Red
    '90 Limited Edition Mustang LX 5.0 'vert (7-Up Car)
    '07 Focus ZX5

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
    Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Steve

Your Mustang may have been scheduled to be built on a date and the tag stamped but the actual production date may differ.

A Marti report would show this info.

My Fastback has a 20 day difference in the tag and the actual build date I believe, I would have to hunt down the Marti Reoprt to be sure.

Here's the info I have online from Ford Archives.
    http://www.geocities.com/mustangs68.geo/fo-uaw.html

Keep in mind there was NO production during the strike, even the furnaces Ford had to make glass was "cooled down" and there was a 6 man crew who maintained them during the strike with an agreement by Ford and the UAW to keep the men station there during this period.

Your Mustang was built after the strike which was from September 6, 1967 until Nov 11, 1967

Mustang Club of Tidewater

The 1968 Mustangs

"My great fear is that we've in fact been visited by intelligent aliens, but they chose not to make contact, on the conclusion that there's no sign of intelligent life on Earth"

Interesting...the door tag shows a date of Dec 9/67 and the letter I got from Ford indicates it was built on Dec 5/67. The owners manual shows that the car was purchased on Dec 22/67 so I assumed the build date in Ford's letter was correct.

Obviously, the source I had for the strike dates was wrong.

Thanks Sam.
    Steve - M&M Member #690

'07 Focus ZX5

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
    Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Welcome Steve,

If you ever get a chance order the base Marti Report, well worth the modest fee.

The 1968 Mustangs

"My great fear is that we've in fact been visited by intelligent aliens, but they chose not to make contact, on the conclusion that there's no sign of intelligent life on Earth"

Steve,
    There were lots of difference between the three major plants when it came to "Buck Tags", build dates, etc... As Sam pointed out, there was no production during the strike. Also, look into ordering a Martti report for your '67. Lots of details there and worth the time and money.
    Dave & Terri
    M&M#166 MCA#47921
    '65 Mustang Fastback~Ivy
    '66 Mustang Coupe~Envy
    '65 Mustang Coupe, 302, 3 speed~Tinker
    '11 Edge~Kona Blue, V-6, 6 speed
    "What do you mean pay attention! I can't afford to pay attention."

Steve,
    Tell me what color is the trim is around the rear reflectors.

The 1968 Mustangs

Rear reflectors are body colour.
    Steve - M&M Member #690

'07 Focus ZX5

OK,
    Body color trim around the reflectors would indicate you have an "early" model '68, the later production units had bright trim.

The 1968 Mustangs

Thanks Sam.

The car is also a 289 which also indicates an early 68 build.
    Steve - M&M Member #690

'07 Focus ZX5

LOL.....

Not so Fast, my Fastback has a 289 with bright trim around the rear reflector and it's a late build

The 1968 Mustangs

My fastback was scheduled and built on 12/27/67 right on schedule but boy did it have some of the crappiest welds I've ever seen in a mustang. Does your car have the knee pad on the dash just above the glove box? My FB doesn't.

My coupe was scheduled to be built on 2/7/68 but was actually built two days ahead of schedule.

FB was built here in NJ and the coupe out in San Jose.
    Last edited by 68 S-code GT; 01-30-2010 at 08:29 AM.
    Ed S.
    M&M #411

68 S-code FB GT , 68 J-code Sprint"B" , 99 F150 XLT Super Cab

“Somewhere in Kenya a village is missing its idiot."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    LOL.....

Not so Fast, my Fastback has a 289 with bright trim around the rear reflector and it's a late build
    Ford went to the 302 midway through the 68 model year. I don't know the timeframe, but it probably varied from one factory to another, depending on what engines they had on hand.
    Steve - M&M Member #690

'07 Focus ZX5

Quote Originally Posted by 68 S-code GT View Post
    Does your car have the knee pad on the dash just above the glove box? My FB doesn't.
    My Coupe has the pad above the glove box.
    Steve - M&M Member #690

'07 Focus ZX5

No pads in mine, then again the AC was gone to by the time I got it.

The 1968 Mustangs

My 68 is a Ca. build It was scheduled for a Sept 67 build but finally built 63 days later in Nov. It is #60XX build for 68 at that plant.
    289's were still being built in late June, 68 as I had one. However, they were 302 cast blocks. Discovered that in the June 68 Mustang that I had. They are fairly common. Re chrome around rear reflectors. There were some early 68's that had chrome frames........they were 68 Shelbys
    Last edited by mellowyellow; 01-30-2010 at 01:02 PM.
    1968 Mustang Convertible aka "Tru Blu"

The later chrome reflectors they are referring to are the Cougar peaces.

Neither of the two I have now ever had holes in the dash for the knee pad.
    Ed S.
    M&M #411

68 S-code FB GT , 68 J-code Sprint"B" , 99 F150 XLT Super Cab

“Somewhere in Kenya a village is missing its idiot."