Brought to you in part by:
Ninth Year!

Fifteenth Year!

Your best source for

High Performance Parts!

...and through the support of our members...
Click here to see a list of our Supporters.

To Register onto our web site and join our discussions, just click Here.

+ Reply to Thread

Default 2003 F-150 tune up questions?

Proud new owner of a 2003 F 150 FX4

It has 78,000 miles on it and I was curious about replacing the spark plugs.....

Is it a big deal??

I bought new double platinums for it and all the new spark plug boots. The plugs arent the notorious 2 piece plugs that self destruct that I thought it would take. They look like normal spark plugs to me.

I was looking around online and am going to order a haynes manuel monday from work. It appears to be a straight forward process involving removing some shields, a couple of brackets and rotating some of the injector plug ins out of the way.

Anything I should be looking out for? I have a inch pound torque wrench and I am planning on never siezing the plugs like I normally do on all engines.

I replaced the plugs on my wifes Escape last summer where you have to remove the upper intake and got throught that allright...

Do these things have pcv valves that need to be replaced? I replaced the serpentine belt last week which is a lot more involved than my old 92 Inline 6 was to replace.

I'm also assuming the fuel filter is on the driver side rear towards the front of the tank? I might as well change that too while I am at it.

Anything else to change? The air filter is going to be replaced with a K&N. This is my 1st V8 truck I've ever owned and I've always liked the 97-2003 body style.

Thanks!
    Doug

Six Packer Performance Freak!
    1966 Mustang Coupe
    206 ci Inline 6
    Best ET 60' 1.93 1/8 mile 8.94 @ 76.82 mph 1/4 mile 14.10 @ 94.61 mph US 131 Motorsports Park. 8/24/12
    2003 FX4 F150 Tow vehicle.

M&M member #608 joined 7/30/00

Default 2003 F-150 tune up questions?

Doug,the 2003 cylinder heads should have the spark plug threads the full length of the spark plugs, earlier heads only had threads in the cylinder head 1/2 the length of the later heads.

To be on the safe side i would remove each by hand tools & not using an air ratchet.

When replacing the plugs apply anti-seize on the threads so if you keep the truck for its next plug change you can use air tools.

Be very carefull when installing the coil pack 7mm bolts so you don't cross thread them.

I like the the denso iridium plugs rather than the platinium. The fine wire center electrode gave me better response & improved driveability.

Good luck on the plug replacement, this vehicle is a real pain in the ass to replace them. Take your time. Bill

Thanks Bill!!

I checked on the iridium plugs but my cost was still almost $4.50 a plug and that was too much money IMO.

I'm going to do them next Saturday so we'll see how it goes....

I've got the Matco 5.4 spark plug extension, swivel, and socket set so hopefully that will make it easier to do.

Thanks,
    Doug

Six Packer Performance Freak!
    1966 Mustang Coupe
    206 ci Inline 6
    Best ET 60' 1.93 1/8 mile 8.94 @ 76.82 mph 1/4 mile 14.10 @ 94.61 mph US 131 Motorsports Park. 8/24/12
    2003 FX4 F150 Tow vehicle.

M&M member #608 joined 7/30/00