Brought to you in part by:
Ninth Year!

Fifteenth Year!

Your best source for

High Performance Parts!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.

To Register onto our web site and join our discussions, just click Here.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Neat looking 1963 Ford Mustang II Prototype

Neat looking 1963 Ford Mustang II prototype

This 1963 pre-production Mustang is basically the same car that would be introduced as the 1965 Mustang. This particular car was altered and exhibited at a number of auto shows. It is a convertible equipped with removable fiberglass top, 289-cubic inch, high performance, Cobra-modified engine and four-speed manual transmission.

The second X-Car, the Mustang II, was also based upon the Falcon/Comet/Fairlane platform and enjoyed a lithe body designed by Joe Oros. Despite its name, however, it carried few styling and design cues from the Mustang I. The pearl white experimental car, first displayed at Watkins Glen in September 1963, played an important role in the public reception of the X-Cars and was presented to the auto enthusiast press as a direct precursor to the production Mustang that debuted in April of 1964. Also built on a Falcon platform, it displayed all of the production Mustang styling cues that would appear on the production car. A toned-down front end, a modest bumper, a raised roofline, and a slightly revised dashboard and modestly reshaped rear quarter panels were almost the only design elements to distinguish the production vehicle from the concept car.
    Jim Demmitt Jr Racing (Web page) A/FX-Pro Stock-Super Stock-T/S http://dearbornflashback.com/jd_fords.asp

Blown Alcohol 57tbird AR 526ci Hemi
    NHRA Top Sportsman 7360

I wish they made this 1965 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Prototype

Mach I was a Mustang fastback prototype with an extended front clip, functional air intakes, and a competition-type ducktail spoiler. The stock top was chopped and the windshield angled back a rakish 64 degrees. Quick release filler caps were located on roof pillars behind the fixed side glass. Back glass and deck lid were opened by hydraulics from inside the car. Aluminum honeycomb panel chassis was powered by Fordís 427 V-8 engine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Demmitt Jr Racing (Web page) A/FX-Pro Stock-Super Stock-T/S http://dearbornflashback.com/jd_fords.asp

NHRA Top Sportsman 7360

The front hood line looks remarkably like a 72 mustang hood.
    66 GT coupe
    95 GT convertible
    1936 Ford 1/2 ton Pickup

Here is the 1970 Ford Mach 2

The Ford Mach 2 was design by Larry Shinoda in 1970 as a challenger to the Chevrolet Corvette. It did not however meet production. The car was based on a De Tomaso Pantera chassis and engine. The rear design was influneced by the 1962 Corvair Monza GT. The Mach II project was abandonned when Ford teamed up with De Tomaso to sell the Pantera in the USA through there Lincoln-Mercury dealer network, which was cheaper than developing this car. Larry Shinoda left Ford soon after designing this car and went on to set up his own Comapny, Shinoda Design Associates

NHRA Top Sportsman 7360

Holy Cow - the rearend of that Mach 2 looks just like the 2010 Mustang rear!
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity? - Genius has boundaries

1967 Ford Mach 2

Strongly influenced by GT styling, the Ford Mach 2 concept car featured a midship 289 cubic inch V-8, raised carburetor intake ports on the rear deck, engine exhausts through the chopped-off rear grille, doors that opened into the roof, a rear canted radiator exhaust grille depressed in the hood surface, and cargo space for two suitcases behind the air exhaust. It was designed with a semi-monocoque steel and fiberglass body, and weighed only 2650 pounds in street form. There was ducted ventilation to the heater and air conditioner, fixed and flush mounted side windows. The rear suspension was trailing link in combination with two lateral control arms.

NHRA Top Sportsman 7360

I like this BEAST

Ford La Galaxie, 1957
    Ford worked its way through many contorted schools of styling such as the Z-back roof (in the 1957 La Galaxie). It went on to become increasingly unhinged as it proposed a nuclear - powered dream car called the Nucleon in 1958, a gyroscopically controlled two-wheeled car called the Gyron in 1961, a three-wheeled flying car called the Volante the same - ear and a vast six - wheeler called the Seattle-ite in 1962.

It should not be surprising that, after that lot. Fordís design team and the pubic had something of a dream-car hangover, and Dearbornís output of show specials petered out in the 1960s

NHRA Top Sportsman 7360

That roof went on to be used in the Mercury's.....Montclaire I think it was. 80's Cougars roofline was close to that ,too. Those tailights look like oversized 60's T bird lights. I think they probably pulled a lot of designs off of those show cars and used them on later models with some tweeks. Just like the tri- lights on the rear of the Mustang II show car got used on 67-68 models, albeit a smaller size, and the scoop trim with the fingers was used on the 66"s....
    ----99 F 150 XLT Super Cab--82 F-100 Stepside--1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe-----

-----2000 Expedition XLT--- 94 Ranger XLT------

" Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Demmitt Jr View Post
    Neat looking 1963 Ford Mustang II prototype

This 1963 pre-production Mustang is basically the same car that would be introduced as the 1965 Mustang. This particular car was altered and exhibited at a number of auto shows. It is a convertible equipped with removable fiberglass top, 289-cubic inch, high performance, Cobra-modified engine and four-speed manual transmission.

The second X-Car, the Mustang II, was also based upon the Falcon/Comet/Fairlane platform and enjoyed a lithe body designed by Joe Oros. Despite its name, however, it carried few styling and design cues from the Mustang I. The pearl white experimental car, first displayed at Watkins Glen in September 1963, played an important role in the public reception of the X-Cars and was presented to the auto enthusiast press as a direct precursor to the production Mustang that debuted in April of 1964. Also built on a Falcon platform, it displayed all of the production Mustang styling cues that would appear on the production car. A toned-down front end, a modest bumper, a raised roofline, and a slightly revised dashboard and modestly reshaped rear quarter panels were almost the only design elements to distinguish the production vehicle from the concept car.
    I love that car.
    I know that most don't feel as I do, but I wish that is the direction the original Mustang actually went.

Alex Denysenko
    Co-Administrator

NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
    NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
    First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
    First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
    5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
    Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
    Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
    Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
    Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
    Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
    www.moneymakerracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Demmitt Jr View Post
    I wish they made this 1965 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Prototype

Mach I was a Mustang fastback prototype with an extended front clip, functional air intakes, and a competition-type ducktail spoiler. The stock top was chopped and the windshield angled back a rakish 64 degrees. Quick release filler caps were located on roof pillars behind the fixed side glass. Back glass and deck lid were opened by hydraulics from inside the car. Aluminum honeycomb panel chassis was powered by Fordís 427 V-8 engine
    Jimmy,

I believe that car was built in 68. I'm pretty sure we have plenty of photos and stories about it on file.
    I remember very well going to the 68 Chicago auto show and seeing it on display. Low and behold, we had a Mach One for the 69 model year.

Alex Denysenko
    Co-Administrator

NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
    NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
    First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
    First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
    5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
    Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
    Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
    Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
    Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
    Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
    www.moneymakerracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Moneymaker View Post
    Jimmy,

I believe that car was built in 68. I'm pretty sure we have plenty of photos and stories about it on file.
    I remember very well going to the 68 Chicago auto show and seeing it on display. Low and behold, we had a Mach One for the 69 model year.

Alex thank god for the 69 model this 1963 Mustang II is one ugly idea I am so happy they had the 1965 Mustangs as we know them

NHRA Top Sportsman 7360